NHS continuing healthcare is the name given to a package of continuing care which is, arranged and funded solely by the NHS, for people with ongoing healthcare needs who meet the National NHS continuing healthcare eligibility criteria.
If you are eligible, you can receive free NHS continuing healthcare in any setting, such as:
- In your own home: services from a community nurse and personal care, such as help with bathing and dressing
- In a care home: as well as healthcare and personal care, the NHS will pay for your care home fees, including board and accommodation.
Further information is also available from NHS England.
Brent, Harrow & Hillingdon CCG’s Continuing Healthcare team
Hours of Service: Monday to Friday 09.00 to 17.00hrs
Address: Sudbury Primary Care Centre, Vale Farm, Watford Road, Wembley, HA0 3HG
Phone number: 020 3114 7123
Who is eligible for NHS continuing healthcare?
To be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, your main or primary need for care must relate to your health.
For example, people who are eligible are likely to:
- Have a complex medical condition such as dementia that requires a lot of care and support
- Need highly specialised nursing support
- Someone nearing the end of their life is also likely to be eligible if they have a condition that is rapidly getting worse and may be terminal
How is continuing healthcare assessed?
The NHS carries out assessments to determine whether a patient is eligible for continuing healthcare. This may be undertaken by NHS and social care staff who are involved in the patients care or who may have particular expertise in the patient’s condition.
If you would like a fully-funded NHS continuing healthcare assessment for yourself, for a family member or for a person you care for, you can speak to:
- Your social worker (if applicable)
- A member of the clinical team involved in your care
You or a member of your clinical team can also contact the Continuing Care Healthcare Team directly.
NHS-funded nursing care
NHS funded nursing care is a weekly payment made on behalf of the residents of care homes with nursing who have been assessed as ineligible for NHS continuing healthcare but need to be in the care home with nursing so they can access nursing any time of the day or night.
For more information about NHS funded nursing care contact the Continuing Healthcare Team.
Personal Healthcare Budgets
If you are eligible for NHS funded continuing healthcare, you may also wish to have a Personal Healthcare Budget. You can discuss this further with your Continuing Healthcare Team.